Tuesday, March 13, 2007

When Signs are Ignored

What happened to me gave me valuable insights and lessons in life.

Most of us ignore our health. We do not stop smoking until we develop emphysema or, worse, lung cancer; we do not stop pushing ourselves, working hard like a carabao, until we have a heart attack; we do not stop eating junk food until we develop diabetes, ulcer or colon cancer; and men will not stop having unsafe sex with multiple partners until they develop AIDS, and so on.

Before a fatal illness strikes, there are usually warning signs. Even those so-called silent heart attacks (that are symptomless) have some subtle early signs, if we but listen to our bodies more carefully.It is said that 30 days before a person dies (even when seemingly accidental), the soul already knows. Again, our problem is failure to listen, not absence of warnings or signs.
Long before this heart ailment struck me, I had already been warned by my doctors and friends to slow down. Antonio, my eldest brother, a medical doctor, was telling me the same thing.

Time bomb
Dr. Sandra Torres, former medical director of a large pharmaceutical company, told me I was “a walking time bomb.” And even a highly evolved spirit from the upper fifth dimension, Ang Suh, told his medium, Dr. Helen Manguera de Garriz, on Jan. 10, two weeks before I was confined, “Jimmy has to stop [what he is doing] otherwise his body will give way, and death or disability will ensue. Too much electricity [in the body] will destroy the source itself and all branches which carry the current, causing destruction.”

The warning signs were all there: elevated blood pressure, panting when walking up the stairs to the second floor, and the need for stronger medication to keep my blood pressure down.
Being a Type A personality did not help my condition at all. Type A people are always pushing themselves too hard, always ahead of time for appointments and very demanding in whatever they do. They are short-tempered, impatient and always in a hurry.

My almost two weeks’ stay in the hospital gave me valuable insights and lessons I never would have taken seriously if this near-fatal incident did not happen.

First lesson: Working too hard and not taking time off for leisure or vacation is foolish and not worth it. For years, I’ve worked at least 10 hours a day, seven days a week without letup. My children often complained they hardly saw me anymore.

I enjoyed what I was doing and didn’t realize my body and my family were being neglected. Like most people, I always justified it, saying “because of the need to earn a living,” which was also true.

In my case, I also felt it my mission to disseminate information that had been kept secret for so long. I soon realized there were other priorities that mattered more than work.

I failed to exercise, not even simple walking. I was leading a dangerously sedentary and cerebral life, one devoted to the mind and the spirit rather than to the body.

In the hospital, I learned what it meant to relax and just do nothing. I kept asking myself one question that I realized I didn’t have the answer to. “If I died, then what would become of all these things I’ve been doing?” They will cease to exist, not to be remembered forever more.
Everything in the world is temporary. Our life is temporary. Having a near-fatal heart attack gave me a profound feeling of helplessness, sadness and what one great poet said, “intimations of mortality.”The other thing I realized was that I was completely at the mercy of my physician and the pharmaceutical industry.

Caring people
One of the positive things that came out of this incident was the realization that so many people cared and were genuinely concerned about what happened to me. My daughter Sophia, who has been living in California for the last 15 years, suddenly flew back to Manila to be with me, although she was out of a job.

I received so many encouraging text messages and telephone calls from friends, relatives and even from total strangers. One typical message said, “You have touched the lives of so many people by your teachings and writings. And they are all praying for your safe and swift recovery.”

The wife of a prominent and high-ranking government official sent fruits, flowers and a miraculous statue of Our Lady of Manaoag.A well-known but very controversial journalist, television and radio host donated a substantial amount of money without being asked. “It is my dharma,” he told me.

So did another very prominent woman journalist who sent a check for my huge hospital bill. Although what she gave was large enough, she said, “I wish I could have given more,” when I called to thank her.

I felt the outpouring of strong healing energy directed at me during my confinement at the Intensive Care Unit and especially when my angiogram and angioplasty were being performed so expertly by Doctor Dy and his associates.

My recovery was very fast. Just two days after these procedures, I was discharged from the hospital, a bit poorer perhaps, but a hundred times wiser about life.

http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/lifestyle/lifestyle/view_article.php?article_id=54442

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home