Monday, March 24, 2008

Can soulmates be of the same sex?

Can soulmates be of the same sex? This is the essence of the question I received recently from a “discreetly gay” reader whose name we shall withhold:

“As a young man during the 80s, I have always been interested in the paranormal. I have always believed in things like soulmates, karma, and reincarnation. I even became a member of the Rosicrucian for a while. I had to stop when materials coming from them had trouble reaching me in Saudi Arabia.

“I am now 48 years old. I am one of those whom you would call ‘discreet gays.’ Very recently I met a young man, 24, half my age. Although he is straight and is much younger than I am, we jibe so well and we could feel that we're on the same wave-length, so to speak.

“Our relationship is going so well—romantically, emotionally, spiritually, sexually and psychologically, that I am inclined to believe that we are soulmates, something that I’ve felt right from the very start but never told him. How surprised was I when one day, out of the blue, it was he who said that, perhaps, we are indeed soulmates.

“Our lives seem to run parallel with each other. We have almost the same life story, the same woes, the same problems. We even have so many similar characteristics and many things about us are the same. And one of the most surprising things is that we’re both Scorpios and both born in the year of the Pig.

“What could this all mean?”

“I have always prayed that one day I would meet a certain person that would have all the qualities that I hope for. That person I created in my mind has materialized in his being.

“Before I met him, many things contributed to making my life miserable and sad. I used to be a very positive person during my younger years but as I grew older, negativism and pessimism had set in. When I met him, everything changed. He has brought meaning, positivism, and inspiration to my life.

“His being a very optimistic person reminded me so much of my old self.

“Who could he be? I hope, indeed, my soulmate.

“I would appreciate your thought on my case. Thank you very much.”

Intertwined destinies

To answer your question, let us first understand what soulmates are, for there are several different definitions of the term. According to the American psychic and prophet, Edgar Cayce, who first spoke about soulmates in the 1930’s while in deep trance, soulmates are two souls who, after a series of lifetimes together, become so close to each other that their destinies become intertwined. They help each other evolve to a higher level of soul evolution, until they reach perfection and union with God.

From the above definition we can glean that soulmates are perfect partners who help each other attain a higher level of spiritual development which could not otherwise be achieved by being with another person. The main purpose therefore of a soulmate encounter is mutual help towards perfection, or union with God.

We seldom meet and marry our perfect partner or soulmate in a single lifetime. It takes many lifetimes of earth existence to develop such closeness with another human being. The reason for this is that we still have to work out our karma with other people and our soulmate also has to work out his or her karma with other individuals. When they are done with such obligations or have paid off their karmic debts with others, then soulmates will definitely meet and be married to each other. From that lifetime onwards they will always be together until they achieve perfection and union with God.

Before that happens, the two may be involved with other partners or with other people with whom they have to settle some karmic obligations. They may even be of the same sex. But they are not, strictly speaking, soulmates. They may be called “soulmates in the making,” a term I have used to refer to those whose lives are evolving together with another in a very intimate and soul satisfying manner. I believe that in the end, when the two souls are ready for each other, they would be male and female, because one needs the help of the other in all aspects of their being. This is the Yin (female)-Yang (male) combination in Eastern philosophy that creates the whole.

Cayce compares a soulmate relationship with either “a torque to the groove,” or with “a tenon to a mortise.” Torque and groove are two aspects of the same metal when twisted. A tenon is a protrusion or extension, which perfectly fits an opening called a mortise. So there can only be one soulmate for each of us, but we can have several karmic partners in a given lifetime.

Note: Attend the Neurolinguistic Programming (NLP) seminar to be conducted by Certified NLP Master Teacher, John Boja from California on April 12-13 at the Inner Mind Development Institute, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. For more details, call 810-7245 or 8926806.

http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/lifestyle/lifestyle/view/20080324-126165/Can-soulmates-be-of-the-same-sex


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home