Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Beyond the secret Law of Attraction

Everyone wants to be in on a secret, no matter what it is. We want to feel we are in the know. We do not want to feel left out.

And that’s how Rhonda Byrne, an Australian divorcee and former television producer, became a multimillionaire almost overnight. Her life was in shambles until she wrote a book about a long-known principle or philosophy she called “The Secret.”

According to a Newsweek report, the book sold 1.5 million while the DVD version 1.7 million copies in three months. It became a phenomenal bestseller in the United States, United Kingdom and Australia.

Even in the Philippines, where the average population is not known to be avid book readers, “The Secret” did quite well. People bought copies for themselves and as gifts to friends and relatives.

Is the book really worth its price, containing substantial information, or is it just a product of good marketing strategy?

Going over the book that a friend gave me, I found nothing that is really new or that I did not know before. The book talks mainly about the Law of Attraction, which is only one of the four hidden laws of nature.

Calling it “The Secret” was a stroke of marketing genius. And showing people how the secret works in daily life insured its success with a reading public always hungry for something new and practical.

The following passage in the book’s foreword proved irresistible:

“A year ago, my life had collapsed around me. I’d worked myself into exhaustion, my father died suddenly, and my relationship with my colleagues and loved ones were in turmoil. Little did I know at the time, out of my greatest despair was to come the greatest gift.

“I’d been given a glimpse of a Great Secret—The Secret to life. The glimpse came in a hundred-year-old book, given to me by my daughter (“The Science of Getting Rich” written by Wallace Wattles in 1910). I began tracing The Secret back through history. I couldn’t believe all the people who knew this. They were the greatest people in history: Plato, Shakespeare, Newton, Hugo, Beethoven, Lincoln, Emerson, Edison, Einstein.

“Incredulous, I asked, ‘why doesn’t everyone know this?’ A burning desire to share The Secret with the world consumed me, and I began searching for people alive today who knew The Secret.

“One by one they emerge. I became a magnet: as I began to search, one great living master after another was drawn to me. In a few short weeks I had traced The Secret back through the centuries and I had discovered the modern practitioners of The Secret.”

The Secret that Byrne talks about in the entire book is the Law of Attraction, which she describes this way:

“If you can think about what you want in your mind and make that your dominant thought, you will bring it into your life.”

According to her, “People who have drawn wealth into their lives used The Secret, whether consciously or unconsciously. They think thoughts of abundance and wealth, and they do not allow any contradictory thoughts to take root in their minds. Their predominant thoughts are of wealth. They only know wealth, and nothing else exists in their minds. Whether they are aware of it or not, their predominant thoughts of wealth are what brought wealth to them. It is the law of attraction in action.”

The Law of Attraction works in all aspects of our life, including our spiritual life.

Unfortunately, the book focuses mainly on attracting riches and wealth, which is what most people want to hear about and that is why the book has become so successful. Who does not want to be rich?

But there are other equally important hidden laws of nature that the book fails to mention or emphasize such as the Law of Affirmation or Suggestion, the Law of Compensation and the Law of Causality.Nevertheless, I must credit Byrne and congratulate her for bringing to a large number of people around the world the tremendous powers of human thought and emotion.
I have been teaching this in my inner-mind development seminars in the Philippines for the last 25 years. With her book, the same teaching has reached a wider audience.

In my seminar, I define the Law of Attraction as “like attracts like.” We attract what we are, or what we think we are. If you want to be loved, you must be lovable; if you want to be happy, you must think of happiness; if you want to be prosperous, you must think of prosperity.
That is exactly what Byrne is saying in “The Secret.”

http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/lifestyle/lifestyle/view_article.php?article_id=104629

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home